Electric Unicycles are interesting self balancing electric vesicles most times used for fun however these machines are also great for enjoying a nice ride to work or school. If you’re a beginner and you need to know more about these interesting machines, this guide will give you the information you need.
In this guide, I will talk about how electric unicycles work, how to ride one, and how to choose the best model based on a number of factors. Remembers, these products are not super cheap so buying the right one from the beginning is something you’ll need to pay extra attention to. That’s why I have also listed the best models I was able to find in the market based on price, features and intended usage.
Here is the top five Electric Unicycles that made it to my list:
With that out of the way, let’s dig into our guide:
How does a unicycle work?
Like most electric vehicles, electric unicycles are powered by a motor and a battery. But unlike an electric scooter that has a throttle, or a remote for electric skateboards, an electric unicycle is triggered by the rider’s body movements i.e. the acceleration, the turns and the deceleration. If the rider inclines forward, the motherboard detects the inclination and increases the speed of the electric unicycle, if the rider leans backwards, the unicycle will slow down. Cool, right?
How to choose a unicycle?
There are several companies that make electric unicycles like Inmotion, Gotway, Segway, KingSong. Most of them produce various models with different power, size, uses and prices. The different types of wheel sizes that are available for electric unicycles range from 12 inches to 18 inches. With multiple brands and different models, you can easily become confused and frustrated to find the right one. Hopefully, this article will help you zero down on the right unicycle for you.
Keep these 4 basic elements in mind while choosing an electric unicycle:
The distance an electric unicycle can travel depends on your body weight, how you drive, the conditions of the road you usually travel, and sometimes even the weather. How far will you need to go with your unicycle on a single charge? Most basic level unicycles give you a 15-20-mile range. But there are Electric Unicycles that can give up to 40 miles on a single charge.
While smaller Electric Unicycles have 130 watts battery, this is great for children, beginners or if you’re going to use your vehicle for a short distance. High powered battery which can shoot up to 700-800 watts can give higher speeds and a better range too. So, what do you want to use your electric scooter for? If it is daily use then go for higher power and if you want to learn and travel short distances, a lower powered electric unicycle will do just fine.
C. Safety features
Generally speaking, electric unicycles are safe. But as any motorized vehicle comes with some risks, so do these self-balancing machines. The faster you go, the harder you will fall. So, ride at a speed you’re ready to fall at. A lot of modern day Electric Unicycles come with a variety of safety features like a low battery indicator and sudden stop prevention. What this does is, instead of stopping abruptly, it slows down the speed before completely shutting off.
What size unicycle should I get?
If you have never ridden an electric unicycle before, I would recommend you start with a 16-inch wheel. The big 18-inch wheels can handle bumps and are sturdier but can be heavy and intimidating to handle while the smaller 12 and 14 inches are agile but difficult to balance on. 16 inches is the perfect size.
However, there are multiple factors that can affect the size of the unicycle you get.
The heavier a rider is, the more load a unicycle must be able to take. This will require you to buy a unicycle that has a bigger motor and battery, so it can handle the weight. The lighter the rider, the smaller the motor and battery can be, as the load will not be too much.
Age: For kids, a smaller sized unicycle
When it comes to age, for children and teenagers, a 12-inch wheel should be a good size to start at. For adults, the ideal size of the unicycle wheel should be 14-16 inches. And when you become a pro, then you can look at 18 inches.
Remember, the heavier a unicycle is, the faster it can go, however, to handle them at slow speed becomes difficult. Whereas with lighter unicycles, they are great to handle at low speeds, but with higher speeds, they become difficult to handle.
How to ride an electric unicycle?
If you are a beginner, follow these simple steps to become a pro at riding an electric unicycle.
Step 1: Take your right leg and place it on the right pedal, bend your knees and then place your left leg on the other pedal.
Step 2: Use a wall to get that balance. Slowly, move forward and backwards to get a sense of how to accelerate and brake.
Step 3: When you have established enough confidence and got some practice, you can leave the wall and start riding the unicycle slowly.
Step 4: When you’ve done this often, you can practice getting on and off without a wall and practice moving forward and leaning backward to get that momentum going.
Step 5: Find an open ground/place to practice turns. To turn left, the center of gravity should shift slightly towards the left through your left foot. Similarly, you can turn right too.
Step 6: When you are cross a speed bump, make sure your knees are a little bent. Remember to leave your body loose. Don’t be too stiff.
*Always wear protective gear while you are practicing. *
How much does a unicycle cost on average?
On average, a high-end unicycle will cost you something around $800-$2000. There are models that cost even more. However, a nice, basic model will cost you around $250-$500. What you choose depends on your intended use and whether this is your first rodeo with Electric Unicycles or you’re already a pro. If you’re buying an electric unicycle for the very first time, you could either:
-> Buy a very basic model that isn’t very expensive, so even if it gets damaged while you’re learning, you will not be ruining an expensive unit. Once you learn how to properly ride electric unicycles, you can buy a high-end Electric Unicycle for the longer run.
-> Get an Electric Unicycle that you love from the get-go. And then later, you won’t have to buy again.
In both situations, things could go wrong. Many people buy a basic Electric Unicycle and since it doesn’t have that power, they don’t become super interested in riding them due to the "mediocre fun experience" Buying again a better electric unicycle later becomes costly. While if you get a unicycle of your dreams in the first go, there is a good chance that you could ruin it due to being a beginner and inexperienced rider. Which is why you should get something that lies in the middle ground. Something that is more than just a basic Electric Unicycle but not an extremely expensive one.
It isn’t easy to choose which unicycle to buy after reading all the above information, which is why, after a lot of research, I’ve selected the top 5 unicycles in the market today
1. Best off-road Electric Unicycles– LJHHH Electric Unicycle
With a non-slip pedal and a good-slip resistant wheel, this electric unicycle makes for a perfect off-road self-balancing machine.
- Powerful heat Dissipation with strong aluminum heat sink and cooling fan
- Bluetooth Audio + Various Ambient lights
- LED super bright headlights
- Easy to control
- Powerful Heat Dissipation: Pure aluminum heat sink, heat pipe, cooling fan, support manual open "strong cooling" function
- Bluetooth Audio + Various Ambient Lights: Dual Bluetooth audio before and after, 7 kinds of ambient light effects, more fun riding
- Non-slip Pedal: User-friendly silicone pad, large magnesium-aluminum pedal for extra comfort and safety
- LED Super Bright Headlights: Highly bright headlights, brighter light and stronger penetration
- Easy To Control: Bid farewell to crowded travel, stylish electric cars, good slip resistance, more flexible operation
2. Best Electric Unicycles for beginner – Swagtron SwagRoller Electric Unicycle
With Dual air-filled tires on a single rim, this unicycle gives beginners the stability and traction they need to learn balancing and riding. What’s more, it's lightweight and easily maneuverable.
- 450 W motor carries 264 lbs., travels 12.4 miles, and overcomes 15° inclines with ease
- Blast your favorite songs as you ride with this balancing scooter’s Bluetooth functionality
- Use the app to choose an LED pattern, use the motor lock feature, view riding history, and more!
- The electric unicycle fits in small spaces, has foldable metal footrests, and rolls with its retractable handle
- PERFORMANCE YOU CRAVE – The 450 W motor carries 264 lbs, travels 12.4 miles, and overcomes 15° inclines with ease
- ROCK OUT ON THE GO – Blast your favorite songs as you ride with this balancing scooter’s Bluetooth functionality
- 14” DUAL TIRES – With dual air-filled tires on a single rim, you’ll have unparalleled stability & traction while riding
- ACCESSIBLE VIA THE APP – Use the app to choose an LED pattern, use the motor lock feature, view riding history, and more!
- PORTABLE – The electric unicycle fits in small spaces, has foldable metal footrests, and rolls with its retractable handle
3. The best Electric Unicycles brand – InMotion V5 – Solowheel Glide 2
InMotion has been pioneering the unicycle revolution since the beginning. The InMotion V5 is the most popular, affordable, flexible, and lightweight model that is suitable for everyone, pros and beginners alike.
- With the slim & sleek body, you can take it with you anywhere you go. It is designed to roll next to you like luggage with an optional detachable handle
- Just underneath the handle, the moment you lift up the wheel, the motor will not spin out. Convenient for those moments you need to lift your wheel over a barrier or curb, so you don't have to power off.
- Using high-capacity 84V UL compatible Lithium battery, it provides the scooter with superb range and battery lifespan.
- PERFECT ENTRY MODEL: It’s the most popular, affordable, flexible, and lightweight model, great for adult beginners.
- PRACTICAL & PORTABLE - With the slim & sleek body, you can take it with you anywhere you go. It is designed to roll next to you like luggage with an optional detachable handle (sold separately).
- BANLANCED SPECS: Battery Range: 25 miles max Top Speed: 15 mph Wheel Size: 14 inches
- MOTOR KILL BUTTON: Just underneath the handle, the moment you lift up the wheel, the motor will not spin out. Convenient for those moments you need to lift your wheel over a barrier or curb, so you don't have to power off.
- SAFE AND HIGH-CAPACITY BATTERY SYSTEM: Using high-capacity 84V UL compatible Lithium battery, it provides the scooter with superb range and battery lifespan.
4. The fastest Electric Unicycles– LJHHH Electric Unicycle with leak proof Butyl Tire Wheels
With a top speed of 30 miles per hour, this is one of the fastest electric unicycles in the market.
- 800W motor provides speed of up to 45kmph and maximum 25-degree slope
- The brake can recover about 10% of energy, effectively extending the driving time
- Non-slip pedal, ergonomic design, improved safety
- 995Wh lithium-ion battery (included with the product), can travel 100 kilometers.
- Aluminum alloy frame and plastic shell for max 150kg payload
- 18 inch rubber vacuum tire for different grounds
- The tail light for warning people and cars at night
- Single wheel unicycle for the new future of balance scooter
- Suitable for the adult and teenagers play in the wide road, grassland, slope, etc
5. The cheapest and most affordable Electric Unicycles– Hoverclub Solo Electric Unicycle
Featuring dual air-filled tires, a powerful 500W motor, and a bright headlight and green LEDs, the SoloWheel is perfect for commuting or travel or have fun with friends. It is the most affordable unicycle in the market.
- With dual large 14-inch tires, the unicycle has a good performance in shock absorption and anti-slip, providing you a smooth and steady riding experience.
- The single wheeled unicycle weighs a mere 29.3lbs, features with a retractable handle to roll, is super easy to carry when traveling or on the way to work.
- A strong 500W motor propels the electric unicycle to a max speed of 7.5 MPH, overcomes 15°inclines with ease. High capacity battery delivers up to 12.5 miles of travel range.
- POWERFUL 500W MOTOR - A strong 500W motor propels the electric unicycle to a max speed of 7.5 MPH, overcomes 15°inclines with ease. High capacity battery delivers up to 12.5 miles travel range.
- 14 INCH DUAL AIR TIRES - With dual large 14-inch tires, the unicycle has a good performance in shock absorption and anti-slip, providing you a smooth and steady riding experience.
- PORTABLE RETRACTABLE DESIGN - The single wheeled unicycle weighs a mere 29.3lbs, features with a retractable handle to roll, is super easy to carry when travel or on the way to work.
- COMMUTING UNICYCLE - Built to carry riders up to 220 lbs, just 15.9’’ *8.3’’ *20.4’’ when folded, fitting in small spaces design for easy storage making it a perfect commuting unicycle.
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE - It has passed UL2272 testing requirements based on the national standards for electrical safety, and we offer friendly customer service. If you have any question, please feel free to contact us.
It is always wise to do your homework before buying an electric unicycle. The products I’ve reviewed in this article are based on a mix of features, and has something for everyone, right from beginners to pros. Once you’ve figured out why you want to buy an electric unicycle and how often you’re going to use it, you’ll be able to zero down on the perfect one for you. I hope this guide has helped you enough to make that decision.