Those who haven’t ridden an electric unicycle may come to a conclusion that riding these cool electric powered one wheel units will cause them an injury, if they were to fall. Or perhaps their relatively large batteries may somehow catch on fire.
I’ve been riding one for over 300 kms, and I can tell you that the experience of riding an electric unicycle is very different. In my opinion, they are much safer than various other modes of transportation.
“Is an electric unicycle safe?” This is the question that is often asked by beginners. Well, the simple and quick answer is, if you aren’t careful and don’t take the right precautionary measures, then electric unicycles will be unsafe to ride just like any other mode of transportation.
Are Electric Unicycle really dangerous
Look, here’s the deal: The danger of riding an EUC is directly proportional to the inattentiveness and complacency of the rider. This basically means that the only time you are unsafe on an electric unicycle is when you aren’t paying attention to the road and to your surroundings period!
Another thing that was in the news a few years back talking about EUCs catching fire. This happens only when you buy the cheapest model there is. Some not very known manufacturers put low quality batteries to reduce the price of the electric unicycle.
These low quality batteries have an incredibly thin sheet of plastic separating the +ve and -ve sides of the battery - So when the liquid electrolyte in the battery heats up quickly, the battery starts to catch on fire. This could happen when you use the electric unicycle for a prolonged period or sometimes, even while charging it. This is why you should always go with well known brands who use very good quality battries. More on this in a moment.
No matter what electric unicycle you buy, it needs to have a UL2272 certification. This certification is awarded to manufacturers who have met the standards of comprehensive safety tests.The testing parameters include electrical and fire safety components.
With advancing technologies, more and more unicycle models are being introduced with various safety features such as tilt protection that help riders balance more easily, speed control features that can be controlled via an app, safety training belts for beginners and lots more. Some even have built-in fans to keep the motor and the batteries cool.
That's not all, people often ignore certain signs while riding an electric unicycle. Most of the unicycles make a beeping sound when something is wrong. Beeps sounds for reasons like tilting too much, excessive speeds, low battery, or a malfunction with the motor/battery etc. These beeps are put in place for a very important reason and it is best to never ignore them, even though you may feel like nothing is wrong with your EUC.
I say this again, because I mean it! An electric unicycle is probably the safest mode of transportation. You are closer to the ground, so even if you’d fall, you wouldn't hurt yourself that much. Handling an EUC is super easy. As long as you are attentive, the chances of you falling down are slim. The next important thing you have to keep in mind is that you should get an electric unicycle with multiple safety features, and hey, always wear protective gear while riding one. Remember, cheap electric unicycles may seem decent at first, but they come with a lot less safety features.
Check out best electric unicycles in the market today, Complete guide and detailed review here
Electric unicycle safety precautions
Follow these important precautions for your safety:
- Charge the batteries of your EUC regularly, even when you don’t use it. Battery damage caused by no regular maintenance is excluded from the warranty coverage by many companies.
- Always wear protective gear which should include a good quality helmet and knee pads.
- Pay attention on the road and do not ride the electric unicycle on slopes with a tilt more than 20 degrees.
- Always ensure your electric unicycle is kept in a safe and dry environment. Keep it out of reach of water and direct sunlight or heat source.
- Always drive at low speeds and do not perform stunts at least until you get the hang of it.
- Avoid riding electric unicycles on wet roads or wet grass or unpaved roads where there is a lot of gravel unless your electric unicycle was made for off-road use.
Electric unicycle riding tips
As a beginner, riding an electric unicycle can be challenging. The initial days are super important and there are a few things you must keep in mind.
Don’t step forward or in front of the wheel to stop
This seems like common sense, because if you step off the electric unicycle and in front of it, the unicycle will still keep moving forward and hit your leg. Practice moving your legs backward or on the side.
Practice how to ride first. And do not do it on concrete!
Try riding on a rubber or grass surface, so that even if you fall, it doesn’t hurt badly. Moreover your electric unicycle will suffer less wear and tear on a rubber surface.
Always be aware of your surroundings
Be attentive and focus on the road. Slow down on turns and allow yourself to get used to the unicycle. Avoid rapid acceleration and deceleration.
Electric unicycle safety gear
I know it is cliche but I mean it when I say that prevention is better than cure. Safety gear may make you look bulky. I got used to them after a while. Use them for your safety.
Please wear a helmet and knee pads, and make sure your protective gear is of a good quality. These things can be potential lifesavers. Moreover, besides a helmet and knee pads, also invest in good gloves because when you fall, the first thing that you are going to use as a support is your hands.
My favorite safety grease are below
And finally, here are my top picks of awesome
Electric Unicycles with the best safety features
InMotion V5F - Solowheel Glide
A pioneer in making some of the best electric unicycles, InMotion models also come with some great safety features such as speed control and motor kill switch. If you're not afraid of spending and budget is not an issue to you, the Solowheel Glide from InMotion is an amazing technology. Here are the facts:
- PERFECT ENTRY MODEL: It’s the most popular, affordable, flexible, and lightweight model, great for adult beginners.
- PRACTICAL & PORTABLE - With the slim & sleek body, you can take it with you anywhere you go. It is designed to roll next to you like luggage with an optional detachable handle (sold separately).
- BANLANCED SPECS: Battery Range: 25 miles max Top Speed: 15 mph Wheel Size: 14 inches
- MOTOR KILL BUTTON: Just underneath the handle, the moment you lift up the wheel, the motor will not spin out. Convenient for those moments you need to lift your wheel over a barrier or curb, so you don't have to power off.
- SAFE AND HIGH-CAPACITY BATTERY SYSTEM: Using high-capacity 84V UL compatible Lithium battery, it provides the scooter with superb range and battery lifespan.
A pioneer in making some of the best electric unicycles, KingSong models also come with some great safety features such as speed control and training belts. Find more here
Hoverclub Solo Electric Unicycle
This unicycle is famous for beginners as it has awesome functionalities and is value for money. It also has a front and rear lights for added safety and a self balancing mechanism feature for beginners.
- POWERFUL 500W MOTOR - A strong 500W motor propels the electric unicycle to a max speed of 7.5 MPH, overcomes 15°inclines with ease. High capacity battery delivers up to 12.5 miles travel range.
- 14 INCH DUAL AIR TIRES - With dual large 14-inch tires, the unicycle has a good performance in shock absorption and anti-slip, providing you a smooth and steady riding experience.
- PORTABLE RETRACTABLE DESIGN - The single wheeled unicycle weighs a mere 29.3lbs, features with a retractable handle to roll, is super easy to carry when travel or on the way to work.
- COMMUTING UNICYCLE - Built to carry riders up to 220 lbs, just 15.9’’ *8.3’’ *20.4’’ when folded, fitting in small spaces design for easy storage making it a perfect commuting unicycle.
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE - It has passed UL2272 testing requirements based on the national standards for electrical safety, and we offer friendly customer service. If you have any question, please feel free to contact us.
With a feature that lets one control the speed through an app, this is the safety unicycle even for kids. What’s more, it has an intelligent safety tilt back feature that helps rebalance the unicycle if the rider tilts it more than they should.
- PERFORMANCE YOU CRAVE – The 450 W motor carries 264 lbs, travels 12.4 miles, and overcomes 15° inclines with ease
- ROCK OUT ON THE GO – Blast your favorite songs as you ride with this balancing scooter’s Bluetooth functionality
- 14” DUAL TIRES – With dual air-filled tires on a single rim, you’ll have unparalleled stability & traction while riding
- ACCESSIBLE VIA THE APP – Use the app to choose an LED pattern, use the motor lock feature, view riding history, and more!
- PORTABLE – The electric unicycle fits in small spaces, has foldable metal footrests, and rolls with its retractable handle
So there you go! Now that you know the pros and cons of safety with regards to electric unicycles, you can take the appropriate measures to make it safer for yourself. Don’t forget to get those protective gears before riding. Don’t give up either, as initially, riding will be difficult, but once you get a hold of it, I bet you will never look back. Take care and ride safely!