As soon as you decide to buy an electric scooter, one of the first questions that come to mind is
How long it takes to charge an electric scooter.
Some of electric scooters take only 2-4 hours to fully charge while others may take 7-12 hours. It all depends on the type of the battery which will be discussing in more detail here in a moment.
In this article, I am also going to talk about the battery’s expected lifespan and how to properly charge it so you can get the most out of its life. I will also mention few tips to help extend the life of your battery and what to expect when the time comes and your battery has completely died and you need to buy a new one.
So lets first answer the most important question in more details
how much do electric scooter chargers cost
- ✅ Brand New Replacement Product, works as...
- ✅ Input: AC 100-240V 50/60Hz; Output: DC 24V 2A,...
- ✅ Short Circuit Protection fits widely : LED...
- ✅ Well-known compatibility with: eZip Mountain...
- ✅ Please Note : To reduce the risk of fire or...
- Product Parameters: Input: 100-240V AC, 50-60HZ,...
- Compatible products: Razor Power Core E90 E95,...
- Security: Special design and high quality...
- Pay attention: Connector: 5.5*2.1mm, NOT Fit Razor...
- Service: We provide 1 year warranty service, and 1...
- Output: DC 24V 1.5A; Power: 36W Max Input: AC...
- Connector Tip:Female 3-Pin Inline
- Compatible Models: Razor E100 E200 E300 E125 E150...
- Tested Units, Safety: CE / RoHS-Certified for...
- KAQIAR guarantee - your repeat business is...
How long do you need to charge an electric scooter?
This solely depends on the type of battery your electric scooter came with. While some batteries may take up to 12 hours, there are other types of batteries that take between 2 to 4 hours.
Let’s look at the different types of batteries I am talking about:
They charge faster and can be charged at any time, without causing damage to their lifespan. These are the most common types of batteries found on modern electric scooters. The best part, they are lightweight and can be charged to their maximum capacity within 2-4 hours.
These are one of the oldest types of batteries and produce a higher amount of current. However, they charge slowly and can take up to 12 hours to fully charge.
These batteries require to be completely drained off before they can be charged, hence they take a longer period of time to charge fully.
Let’s look at a few examples of some popular electric scooters on the market today and how long it takes to fully charge each of them:
1. Reverb: Charge time 1 - 2 hours
2. Segway Ninebot KickScooter ES4 (dual batteries): Charge time 7 hours
3. MI Electric Scooter: Charge time 5 hours
4. Razor E90: Charge time 12 hours
With most of these electric scooters, the battery can be removed and charged separately, making it more convenient to charge them at home or office, while some aren’t detachable, given that typical electric scooters can be carried anywhere therefore charging becomes super convenient, no matter where you are.
How long does the battery last on an electric scooter?
On average, batteries of electric scooters last between 1-3 years or 500-1000 charge cycles. An exact number of years may be difficult to assume, as a lot of factors come to play in determining how long your electric scooter battery will last. For example, how often do you charge the battery? How many times do you use it in a day? And how do you ride your e-scooter? All of these matter.
How to make the electric scooter battery last longer?
Follow these simple steps to make your battery last longer:
- Ensure you charge your electric scooter after every ride, no matter if the low-battery indicator light comes on or not.
- If you’ve just come back from a long ride on your e-scooter, give it some time before you start charging the battery. I would recommend waiting for 10 to 15 minutes to let the battery cools off. This is to avoid overheating the battery and shrinking its lifespan.
- If you’re going on a vacation or aren’t going to ride your electric scooter for a long time, I’d recommend charging it to about 70% before putting it away. This helps preserve the battery and increase its lifespan.
- There’s a reason manufacturers advise using the recommended charger. This is because they create batteries that are customized for the charger’s exact current output.
- Keep your e-scooter away from the sun, heat, rain, and water. If your battery isn’t exposed to these elements and is kept in a safe environment, it will last way longer than you expect.
How to properly charge an electric scooter?
When the battery of your electric scooter is running low, an indicator notifies you about it. While some indicators may be blinking, some may not (this depends on the model of your electric scooter). As soon as you notice this, it is necessary that you charge your electric scooter and don’t let the battery to fully drain.
When you decide to charge the electric scooter, remove it from the main body, plug the charger to a power outlet and push the cord into the battery. The newer models come with in-built batteries so you can plug them directly to a power source.
When you’re about to unplug, first switch off the power outlet, remove the charger from your scooter and then unplug the adapter from its source.
How much do electric scooter batteries cost?
Batteries are probably the most expensive part of an electric scooter. The price depends on the size and the power of the battery. Of course, the model and the manufacturer matters too. However, they range from $160 - $350.
Here is the price for some of the most popular scooter batteries:
1. Segway Ninebot External Battery Pack for ES1/ES2/ES4 Electric Kick Scooters - $220
2. Razor E100/125/150 Electric Scooter Battery (2 pack) - $30
3. GoTRAX Electric Scooter Battery Pack - $74
4. Dolly 36v Lithium-Ion Replacement Battery - $249
Now that you know how long it takes to charge an electric scooter, you should keep in mind the above information while buying one. By following the above mentioned steps in this article, I’m sure your battery will last for at least 2-3 years if not more. Remember, always keep it charged at its full capacity, use the original charger provided by the manufacturer and keep it in a safe and dry environment.